Step 1: Let go of the fear It’s totally normal to feel scared of taking the leap from employee to working for yourself but you mustn’t let fear get in your way. What you need to do is work on your mindset to take you from a state of fear, panic or worry, and into a state of confidence, positivity and trust. There are many ways to do this. I recommend:
- Prayer or meditation which will take you out of panic and help you to feel supported
- Surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals. You’ll find plenty of those in my Facebook group: come and join us!
- Gratitude. Write down a list of at least three things every day to be grateful for – it’s a game-changer!
Step 2: Declutter to make way for the new Most people have got a head full of worries and a home full of unnecessary junk that is blocking them from moving forward. I recommend:
- Again, daily prayer or meditation. This will sort out the nonsense that’s sitting around in your head.
- Decluttering your home and work spaces. Be ruthless. Energy needs to flow, not get stuck in your old shoes and piles of books you’ll never read.
Step 3: Optimize your home & car Society pushes us into the standard ‘house and car package’ which can really make us feel physically and financially trapped, but there are other ways! I recommend:
- Looking into alternative ways of living that will allow you to be mortgage free and give you freedom to travel if that’s your desire – come over to the Facebook group and let’s play around with some ideas!
- Taking a good look at whether owning a car is really efficient for you – with Uber and other similar car-sharing and ride-sharing apps, you may find a better solution!
Step 4: Use your time & money to enrich your life What we spend our time and money is what keeps us in our present situation. I recommend:
- examining your habits around your spending of time and money, and find ways to make them efficient. If it works, keep it. If it doesn’t, get rid of or change it.
Step 5: Discover your purpose It’s our right and duty to do what we love. We’ve all got God-given talents, things we’re great at that we love doing, even if we’re not sure what they are yet. I recommend:
- my bestselling workbook that will put you right on track.
Step 6: Become an expert Even if you’re not quite the expert in what you choose to do, that’s OK. As long as you’re a couple of steps ahead than most people, you can start where you are and build on your skills as you go. I recommend:
- taking courses, reading books, signing up to newsletters of other experts, practising your skill
- getting out there, running workshops, getting feedback and becoming known for that thing you do.
Step 7: Monetize & market your purpose Get clear on who you are, what you’re selling, who you’re selling it to, and where people can find you. I recommend you get clarity on:
- your products and services
- who your ideal customers are
- where you’ll be doing business
- the name of your business
- your marketing and advertising.
Step 8: Quit your J-O-B! The last couple of hurdles you must navigate before taking the leap to work for yourself full time are quitting your job, and dealing with the Negative Normans. I recommend:
- resigning legally, gracefully and without burning bridges
- having a good, clear script for what to say to those who think you’re barking mad.
Step 9: Get a Coach Seriously. Get. A. Coach. You can do all this yourself, of course, if you want to waste years going round in circles (like I did). Or you can find an expert who’s done what you’re trying to do, and will guide you away from the pitfalls, and support and encourage you at every turn.
Working with the right coach will get you clear on what you’re trying to achieve, help you create efficient steps, and get you working through all your own hurdles along the way. It’s the best thing you’ll ever do for yourself.
But choosing the right coach can be a minefield. Luckily, I’ve got you. Read my article How to Choose a Life Coach in Five Steps and you can’t go wrong. If you like this article and feel like I could be the one to get you to where you want to be, click here to find out how you can work with me. It’s life-changing stuff. 🙂